Home | About Us
Custom Controls Ltd was founded in 1980 by two experienced process control engineers, Richard Stilwell and Mike Helean. During the 1980's Custom Controls grew rapidly as a result of numerous major projects in the Pulp & Paper, Refining and Oil & Gas Production industries.
In 1981 Fisher Controls, the world's premier control valve company, appointed Custom Controls as its exclusive New Zealand Representative and this now forms the largest portion of the company's business.
Jim Neville succeeded Richard Stillwell in 1994 as Managing Director and led Custom Controls through another succesful growth period with expansion into new process control technologies such as UHF industrial communications, radar-based tank inventory management systems, and hazardous area protection.
After 27 years as Technical Director company founder Mike Helean retired in January 2007 with further change in company management in November 2009 with Jim Neville's retirement and John Sullivan's appointment as Managing Director.
Back to top
Significant milestones in the history include:
Back to top
Awarded contract to supply 140 large automated rotary control valves for the Contact Energy Te Mihi Geothermal Power Station.
Fisher Controls valves selected by Fonterra Edendale as replacements for poorly performing competitor valves.
Awarded contract by Solid Energy Coal Seam Gas to supply a further six coal seam methane gas extraction, monitoring skids, complete SCADA automation and telemetry package.
Awarded contract by Solid Energy Underground Coal Gasification (UCG) to supply Fisher Control Valves and Farris Relief Valves for the UCG project.
Selected as control valve vendor for Shell Todd Oil Services MPA Produced Water & Sand Management project.
Awarded contract to supply and commision large automated rotary control valves for Contact Energy Tauhara Geothermal Power Station.
Fisher Controls valves selected by Dobbie Engineering for the Ngati Tuwharetoa Geothermal "Clean Steam" project.
Shell Todd Oil Services and Transfield Worley selected Fisher Controls valves for their MPS Fractionation Train.
Rosemount Inventory Management Radar Level Measurement system ordered for the new BP Hutt City Oil Terminal.
Supply of Fisher Control Valves to Orgin Energy for Ahuroa Gas Storage 2A project.
MB Century chose Custom Controls to supply control valves for the Tuaropaki Geothermal Power Station.
Awarded contract to supply and commission large automated rotary control valves for the Contact Energy Tauhara Geothermal Power Station.
Fonterra Edendale selected Fisher Controls valves for critical pressure and flow control valves on their new RCR Easteel boiler.
Origin Energy and consultants Technip awarded the contract for the supply of Fisher Controls valves and Rosemount inventory management radar level measurement systems for the Condensate Storage terminal in New Plymouth.
Aquaheat Industries chose Fisher Controls Baumann stainless steel valves for the Schering Plough pharmaceutical manufacturing plant in Wellington.
Nu Con Industries awarded the contract to Custom Controls for the design and supply of Fike explosion suppression systems for the Wyeth Nutritional manufacturing plant in China.
Vector Gas standardised on Fisher Controls high pressure 10” EWT control valves with noise reducing Whisper III trims in their gas distribution system.
United Group ordered Fisher Controls valves for the Contact Energy Stratford Peaking Gas Power Station.
John Sullivan moved to the Managing Director Role, while Jim Neville moved in to a semi-retired role of Chairman.
Origin Energy Kupe Project: Awarded contracts by Technip for the total process control package as part of the Emerson Process Management project team. Assisted in project engineering within the Origin/Technip Perth office. This project is the first greenfield Foundation Fieldbus project in New Zealand, with all field measurement and control devices connected via digital highways to the DeltaV control system. Ongoing involvement through 2008 and 2009 in design, documentation, training and commissioning.
Genesis Huntly Power Station: Completed the fourth boiler/turbine control valve upgrade project for Siemens and Genesis Energy on time and under budget. This required a team working long hours through the summer holiday period, with tight deadlines and multiple contract management interfaces.
Mike Helean retired. John Sullivan appointed as a Director.
Award contract for the supply of Fisher control valves, Hawa gate, globe, check and butterfly valves and process instrumentation for the Oserian/Ormat geothermal power station in Kenya.
Selected by Century Resources for thedesign and supply of Fisher rotary control valves for the Top Energy Ngawha Springs geothermal power plant expansion.
Completed control valve upgrades for Genesis huntly Power Station Unit 1. This required overhauling actuators, installing and commissioning Fisher Controls Digital Valve Controllers on over 80 valves and air dampers.
Awarded contract by Flotech for the design and supply of Fisher high pressure control valves for the Metka FPSO compressor project.
Awarded contract by Solid Energy for the design, fabrication and installation of five coal seam methane gas extraction and monitoring systems.
Selected by Flotech for the design and supply of automated valve package for the BHP Stybarrow Floating Production Storage Offtake project.
Completed installation and commissioning of Fisher Digital Valve Controllers and instrumentation for the Genesis Huntly No.3 Boiler and Turbine.
Awarded contract by Transfield Worley for the engineering and supply of Fisher Control valves, DVC positioners, regulators and Farris relief valves as part of a total Emerson Process Management contract for the Shell/OMV Pohokura onshore and offshore gas and condensate project.
Selected by Carter Holt Harvey Tasman for the supply of valves and DVC positioners for an Emerson Process Management PlantWeb project at their chemical preparation plant. Also provided onsite training on the utilisation of online valve and instrument diagnostics to over 20 engineers and technicians.
Upgraded 23 oil tank inventory management systems with Rosemount radar gauges and software at NZ Refining Company, Exxon Mobil and Shell terminals throughout New Zealand.
Awarded single source contract for supply of Control Valves, and Instrumentation to Oserian Developments Kenyan Geothermal Project Stage 2.
Selected by Fonterra to supply main steam control valves for Clandeboye boiler constructed by Easteel.
Supply of new steam bore control valves for Mighty River Power Kawerau geothermal power station.
Awarded four year contract by Siemens for the upgrade of control valves and installation of transmitters for safety integrity system at Genesis Energy, Huntly Power Station.
Engineered and commissioned Fisher controls Avesta ball valves to resolve cavitation problems at the NZ Refining Company firewater pump system
Awarded contract by Transfield Worley to supply control valves with special trim to combat sand erosion on the Maui B to Maui A Pipeline Constraint Removal project for Shell Todd Oil Services.
Awarded single source contract for supply of Control Valves, Instrumentation and Fisher ROC Control System to Gourmet Mokai Geothermal Project.
Supply of Fisher Regulators to Intermech and Powerco for significant off-shore projects.
Supplied further Saab Tank Radar Gauge Systems to NZOSL, Shell, Wiri Oil Services Terminal, Mobil and NZ Refining Company.
Awarded contract for supply of Fisher SMART Positioners to Degussa Peroxide and Methanex.
Received contract from Transfield Worley to upgrade the Shell Todd Oil Services Kapuni KA-3 well site with Fisher Controls Digital Valve Controllers and Digital Level Controllers.
Awarded contract by Babbage Consultants for high pressure control valves and digital valve controllers for Westland Dairy boiler.
Received special commendation from Carter Holt Harvey for support services during their Goliath turnaround at Kinleith Mill.
Supplied a Fisher Controls Baumann control valve and DVC6000 Digital Valve Controller to University of Auckland School of Chemical and Materials Engineering.
Provided Asset Management Solutions software with ValveLink enhancement to methanex for monitoring Digital Valve Controllers.
Awarded contract to supply 21 large Fisher Controls Rotary Valves to Tasman Norske Skog headbox upgrade and whitewater storage projects.
Awarded contract for supply of CyNET Radio based Telemetry System to Swift Energy.
Awarded single source contract for supply of Control Valves, instrument and Fisher ROC Control System to Oserian Developments Kenyan Geothermal Project Stage 1.
Supplied further Saab Tank Radar Gauge Systems to NZOSL, BO, Wiri Oil Services Terminal, Mobil and NZ Refining Company.
Established supply agreement with Contact Energy for Natural Gas Regulators.
- Awarded single source contract for Genesis Power to expand Waikato River Monitoring
Project utilising Fisher Remote Operations Controllers and CyNET telemetry systems.
- Awarded contract for Swift Energy Rimu Production Station for the supply of 200+
Fisher control valves (all with FieldVue Digital Valve Controllers), and Farris
- Management implementation of Emerson Process Management Delta V control system.
- Supplied Saab Tank Radar Gauge Systems to Caltex, Wiri Oil Services Terminal, Mobil
and NZ Refining Company.
- Awarded contract for New Zealand Oil Services Tank Gauging Project using SAAB REX
- Engineered, supplied and commissioned Foundation Fieldbus, Fisher Control Valves
and Fieldbus accessories for Kiwi Dairy, Hawera.
- Engineered and supplied Baumann Control Valves for both DB Breweries and Corban
Wines Expansion Projects.
- Supplied all severe service high-pressure steam control valves, de-superheaters
and pressure reducing systems to Anchor Products, Te Rapa co-generation project.
Lead control system engineering team for Carter Holt Harvey Penrose upgrade from
- Distributed Control System to Fisher-Rosemount Delta V control system.
Supplied and commissioned SAAB tank gauging and inventory control system to Gull
Petroleum's Mt Maunganui terminal.
- Supplied and commisioned Foundation Fieldbus control system for Nuplex Industries
Fume Afterburner Project based around Fisher-Rosemount Delta V.
- Engineered and supplied steam and liquid control valves and instrumentation for
Ormat Pacific geothermal power plants at Taupo and Kaikohe.
- Awarded contract for supply of CyNET Radio-based telemetry systems to numerous organisations
including Opotiki District Council, NGC Transmission, Christchurch Airport and Soutdown
- Supply of Fisher ROC Telemetry System to BOC Gases for the Remote Monitoring and
Control of Non-Cryogenic Gas Generation Plants.
- Performed Year 2000 System Reviews and Upgrades for a number of industries including
ECNZ Huntly, where a new Intellution FIX SCADA system was installed and configured.
Awarded contract for Marsden Truck Loading Facility Tank Gauging. Supplied and commissioned
SAAB TRL/2 custody transfer radar guages and inventory control software.
- Awarded contract for supply of Fisher ROC SCADA control system to Mobil Oil, Wellington.
- Awarded contract for supply of Cynet Radio based telemetry system to CHH Pulp and
- Supplied all new and refurbished control valves for Tasman Pulp and Paper Thermo
Mechanical Pulp project.
- Supply of Fisher ROC Control System and Control Valves to N.G.C. for Taranaki Combined
- Engineered and supplied steam conditioning valves and vent silencers for co-generation
projects at CHH Kinleith and Kiwi Dairy Company.
A close knit, enthusiastic team of 24, with many years combined experience in all facets of process control engineering. Most staff have been with Custom Controls in excess of ten years, providing consistent support to our customers.
Back to top
Auckland office is positioned near Auckland airport and purpose built to provide training,
demonstration, project engineering, service and warehouse facilities. A clean room
environment is maintained in our electronic workshop for instrument service.
New Plymouth office is located near central business district and is equipped to provide both local support to the Taranaki region and targeted customer training.
Back to top
Back to top
- Shareholders : J.Neville, J Sullivan, Custom Controls Holdings Ltd
- Bank : Auckland Savings Bank
- Solicitors : Simpson Grierson
- Accountants : Inspired Business Solutions
MANAGING DIRECTOR: JOHN SULLIVAN
- Joined CCL in 1987 and responsible for day to day management of company
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER, CONTROL VALVES: COLIN CASKIE
- Joined CCL in 2007 and responsible for customer account management and business development for control valves and valve solutions for our customers in the power, refining and pulp and paper industries.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER, REGULATORS: DANNY SWAIN
- Joined CCL in 2006 and responsible for the applications engineering and business development of Industrial, Natural Gas Regulators and LP-Gas Equipment, utilizing products from Fisher, Tartarini and Tescom.
TECHNICAL SALES ENGINEER: MARCEL VAN NIEKERK
- Joined CCL in 2010 and responsible for application engineer of process and factory automation for all Pepperl + Fuchs products.
TECHNICAL SALES ENGINEER – New Plymouth: NICK PELLING
- Joined CCL in 2012 and responsible for product sales in Taranaki and lower north island.
TECHNICAL SALES ENGINEER – New Plymouth: DAVID LOCKTON
- Joined CCL in 2013 and responsible for product sales for the Waikato, Taupo, Rotorua, East Coast and Bay of Plenty.
SENIOR APPLICATIONS ENGINEER: PAUL MURPHY
- Joined CCL in 2007 and responsible for New Plymouth Territory application
engineering and sales management.
SENIOR APPLICATIONS ENGINEER: GARETH HAYS
- Joined CCL in 2005 and responsible for application engineer of control valves, safety valves and instrumentation for all customers and industries served by Custom Controls.
APPLICATIONS ENGINEER: PAUL PAPWORTH
- Joined CCL in 1999 and responsible for Custom services to focus on delivering the benefits of control valve diagnostic technology and dynamic performance testing and certified control valve services and training.
APPLICATIONS ENGINEER: ALEX PHILCOX
- Joined CCL in 2008 and responsible for application engineer of control valves, safety valves and instrumentation for all customers and industries served by Custom Controls.
APPLICATIONS ENGINEER: PETER ATAALLAH
- Joined CCL in 2011 and responsible for application engineer of control valves, safety valves and instrumentation for all customers and industries served by Custom Controls.
APPLICATIONS ENGINEER: JENIL PATEL
- Joined CCL in December 2011 and responsible for application engineer of all Pepperl and Fuchs products in factory and process automation, Elpro radios and IVC products for video security and monitoring of industrial applications.
IT MANAGER \ SYSTEMS ENGINEER: LOC TRAN
- Joined CCL in 2008 and responsible for the management and maintenance of Custom Controls network. Develop, maintain and upgrade CCL Databases, Software, Web\intranet Applications, Computers, Servers and all other IT requirements.
SYSTEMS ENGINEER: MARK SEARS
- Joined CCL in 1995 and responsible for software engineering and design in the development and support of SCADA systems, intelligent instrumentation, radio systems and in-house network and database applications.
CUSTOMER SUPPORT MANAGER: ROSEANNE INSTON
- Joined CCL in 1985 and responsible to all customers for spare parts and order expediting, and manages our computerised inventory.
SALES SUPPORT: RICHELLE L’ESTRANGE-CORBET
- Joined CCL in 2000 and responsibilities include assistance with accounts receivable, document transmittals, conference/function co-ordination and all other administration duties.
FINANCIAL CONTROLLER: ALAN SIMPSON
- Joined CCL in 1999 and responsible for all commercial and accounting requirements.
ACCOUNTS ASSISTANT: RAEMA WYLLIE
- Joined CCL in 2005 and responsible for Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable.
PROJECT MANAGER: DON MACKENZIE
- Joined CCL in 1985 and responsible for the management of large project enquiries and orders with specific focus on Fisher Control Valves and Fike Explosion Protection Systems.
SERVICE MANAGER: LAWRENCE CLOSE
- Joined CCL in 2011 and responsible for both on-site and workshop based Service support.
SERVICE TECHNICIAN: JOSHUA PAPWORTH
- Joined CCL in 2010 and responsible for assisting with all service work.
ADMINISTRATION: MELISSA BAILLIE
Back to top
- Joined CCL in 2009 and responsibilities include phone system administration and other secretarial duties.